Tuesday, January 09, 2024

The top of the heap pulls back

There have been some changes in the recruiting landscape. Back in 2021 I noticed a lot of reaching out on LinkedIn. Even recruiters from top of the heap FAANG were reaching out sending unsolicited messages.

That is no longer the case. At the peak I was being contacted by some recruiter around once a week on LinkedIn. In 2023 this slowed to around once a month.

The top firms went from hiring to shrinking. Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, etc. all shed thousands of employees. An recruiter from Facebook who had contacted me updated her LinkedIn to no longer with Facebook, and the dreaded green Open for work badge. I deleted her from my contacts. 

A guy I know from wayback was at AWS. He seemed to survive the first Amazon round. At an end of year lunch another individual from back then mentioned he's no longer at AWS. I checked LinkedIn and it seems he got caught in the second big Amazon layoff wave. As of mid 2023 his time at AWS seemed to abruptly end.

And so it goes. I'm sure the top firms are still hiring exceptionals for key roles. You can get on there but it's hard now, like historically it was hard to get on at Google.The indiscriminate growth and hiring, and them reaching out first era has ended for now.

There was a lot of swirl for those like me who stayed where they were during the great resignation of 2020-2022. We lost people to Microsoft and AWS. It was disruptive. I do hope for a balanced market where there are good jobs available to those who are seeking new work, and quality candidates available for employers who want to hire.

No comments: