Friday, October 17, 2014

back at work

There's some news on the job front. I have found work. After I was laid off I had an informal list of people to contact who I'd worked with in the past. It was to get references and see if they knew about any leads. I also updated my resume and posted on Monster and Career Beacon.

There were a couple of leads and I put my name in at a few places. I got an interview and an offer followed. It looked okay so I accepted the offer and returned to work in July. I was out of work for a bit more than a month. So that wasn't too bad. Good to have paycheques coming in again that's for sure.

I caught on with an IT consulting firm in the Halifax office. I've been in consulting in the past from 1997-2001 back with PRIOR Data Sciences and xwave. It's a bit different than doing commercial product development from the years at Core Networks, SupportSoft and RIM. Writing code that we don't own. It's nice to be billable again and generating revenue, instead of being a cost. It's a Java and Oracle project I'm starting out on so that part is still pretty familiar.

I miss work from home at times. But the commute is pretty favourable to where I live so it hasn't been too hard an adjustment. So a new chapter begins.

No comments: