Wednesday, October 15, 2014

laid off

well it finally happened. I was laid off from a high tech job. it was back in June. I was working at home. a little after 10 AM the phone rings. it was the director. he was mumbling and it was hard to hear. he said something like there's bad news there's been a reorg and I've been downsized. my work duties end as of the end of this phone call. There was also an HR person on the line and he handed it over to her. he seemed anxious to get off the call so I didn't keep him. It was over in about 30 seconds.

The HR stayed on about 30 minutes going over the many details of severance. There were some complications because of work from home. Usually in office the person is just run out the door and your cubicle is left behind for IT or whoever to scavenge or clean up. someone might meet you after with a banker's box of your personal stuff like headphones or whatever.

so that's that. I survived a great many downsizings over the years. statistically I was bound to get caught up in one eventually. meh RIM went from 19,000 to 5,000 employees in the last 3 years so for everyone, any day you go to work at RIM could be your last. well I got ahead financially at RIM and iPhone had been released when I joined in 2008 so I knew going in. I did get my severance which will come in handy.

No comments: